What is United Methodist Women?
Organizationally, United Methodist Women is the successor to the home and foreign missionary societies and guilds of the seven predecessor denominations that now comprise the United Methodist Church. United Methodist Women is the group of women in each congregation organized for mission. Because the United Methodist Church is a connectional church, local units of United Methodist Women relate directly to district and conference organizations of United Methodist Women and General Board of Global Ministries.
What is the purpose of the Organization?
The organized unit of United Methodist Women shall be a community of women whose purpose is to know God and to experience freedom as whole persons through Jesus Christ, to develop a creative, supportive fellowship; and to expand concepts of mission through participation in the global ministries of the church. (The Book of Discipline. 1984. Para. 262.5)
Who are United Methodist Women?
Women like you. Women of diverse ethnic and social-economic backgrounds, employed, not employed, housewives, businesswomen, single, married, divorced, young, middle-aged and older women. We are women committed in
What does it mean to be a member of United Methodist Women?
In United Methodist Women, a member is one who commits herself to the purpose and chooses to participate in the various activities and programs of the organization.
The responsibility of a member is:
- To understand and be supportive of the organization and its purpose.
- To participate in program activities.
- To keep informed about the programs and ongoing concerns of United Methodist Women.
- To engage in critical analysis and active listening while remaining open to different views and other perceptions.
- To subscribe to Response magazine, the official program journal of United Methodist Women.
A member has the right to expect:
- Education, training
andexperience in understanding the organization and fulfilling the purpose.
- Resources that nurture growth, inform and stimulate – such as Response magazine.
- Information that relates to world issues and leads to increased identification with women around the world.
- Recognition of her contribution as a member of the organization.
- Ways to communicate her concerns to the Women’s Division.
- Opportunity for a variety of ways to serve/volunteer.
- Membership in Church Women United and the World Federation of United Methodist Women. As members of these two organizations, we strive for community ecumenically and internationally through:
- Unity of spirit and purpose.
- Understanding the meaning of justice and freedom.
- Our commitment to the gospel.
To learn more contact Karen Swales at